Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 0 Accrington Stanley 1

17 February 2021

Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 0 Accrington Stanley 1

17 February 2021

Rovers suffer an unfortunate defeat at the hands of Accrington Stanley.

Darren Moore made three changes to the side which lost to Sunderland at the weekend with John Bostock, Scott Robertson and Elliot Simeos drafted back into the starting XI. 

Rovers came out with a sense of determination to right the wrongs of Saturday’s defeat, with an improved performance. However, the improvements were not enough to claim Rovers’ first league win over Accrington.  

First attempt on target for Rovers came through Omar Bogle who was rushed into shooting directly down Nathan Baxter’s path after been marked tightly by the Accrington defence.  

The visitors’ high pressing game did not put Rovers off their stride for the most part, with Moore’s side holding the majority of the possession early doors and drawing in some threatening free kicks as a result.  

The better chances of the first half came through Taylor Richards, who had a few flirtatious efforts on goal but none that threatened Nathan Baxter too much in Accrington’s goal.  

On the 26th minute, the game became end-to-end with Colby Bishop forcing a save out of Ellery Balcombe after heading goalward from a corner. While down the opposite end Scott Robertson watched one of his efforts spiral over the cross bar.  

Bishop continued to cause Rovers problems, after he disposed a Rovers man before getting his shot blocked by Andy Butler.  

Just before half-time Rovers were dealt a big blow as Accrington took the lead after winning possession back from a Rovers goal kick. Paul Smyth capitalised with his shot taking a deflection enroute to goal.  

At the start of the second-half Rovers were quick to throw themselves into the action with Omar Bogle breaking through one-on-one with Baxter. The goalkeeper saved but injured himself in the process. After receiving treatment the Chelsea loanee was able to continue.  

Rovers continued to apply pressure and on the 56th minute Richards made an incredible run through midfield before slicing the ball through the Reece James who was making a run into the box. The left back saw his shot saved from close range. His chance resulted in a string of corner kicks with Rovers coming agonisingly close to equalising with the ball bouncing off the cross bar a couple of times.  

In an attempt to add more attacking flare to the game for Rovers, Josh Sims returned for his first appearance at the Keepmoat Stadium since returning on loan from Southampton.  

When ever Rovers got into a threatening position Accrington were quick to smoother making chances hard to come by.  

With 10 minutes left to play Rovers saw a chance go wide of the mark from a corner routine.  Before James had an attempt from outside of the box which was inches over the ba

In the end, Rovers were undone by a deflected Paul Smyth goal in the first half as attentions now turn to entertaining Hull City this Saturday.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account