Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 3 Hull City 3

20 February 2021

Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 3 Hull City 3

20 February 2021

James Coppinger wins a point for Rovers against promotion rivals Hull City in a six goal thriller.

The headline before the game was the return of captain Tom Anderson to the starting XI after he missed the last game two games after picking up a concussion against Fleetwood. He replaced Andy Butler who dropped the bench. Returning to the side also was Matt Smith, Madger Gomes and Josh Sims with Scott Robertson, John Bostock and Elliot Simeos vacating the starting XI.  

Rovers – who were playing in their golden charity kit, designed by James Coppinger – got off to a positive start finding a lot of joy down Hull’s left-hand side. But the visitors worked well to block most of the crosses Rovers attempted.  

Hull’s biggest chances came through free kicks – which they ultimately would take the lead through. Their first free kick was dealt with amicably by Joe Wright. But on second attempt, Mallik Wilks headed past Ellery Balcombe.   

In response to going behind a flurry of chances would come Rovers’ way, with Matt Ingram spilling a shot from Sims before Omar Bogle had a shot blocked from the edge of the box.  

However, on the counter Hull and Wilks got their second of the game as he scored from close-range.  

Another mistake from Ingram gifted Rovers a corner which ended with Anderson’s header being cleared by Greaves. On second attempt Josh Magennis had to clear off the line from a Bogle shot.  

Eventually Rovers broke through with a long distance shot from Reece James beating Matt Ingram.  

The visitors increased the tempo with two attempts cleared by Anderson in sensational fashion but unfortunately Moore’s side would go 3-1 down after Greaves headed past Balcombe.  

A half-time change from Moore saw Gomes withdrawn with Bostock replacing the Spaniard.  

Rovers did come out determined, containing the Tigers well and putting together some challenging attacks.  

On the hour mark Rovers had two consecutive strong arguments for a penalty turned down by referee Charles Breakspear after two handballs from the Hull City defence.  

Wilks gave away a penalty after pushing Sims over on the 67th minute. Bogle sent Ingram the wrong way to open his account for the club. After the penalty had been taken the oppositions manager Grant McCann was shown a yellow card.  

The contest continued to heat up as Rovers increased their presence in the game.  

A Jason Lokilo corner drew a third hand ball from a Hull City defender but played carried on and the visitors eventually cleared.  

On the 86th minute James Coppinger and Scott Robertson came on for Matt Smith and Jon Taylor.  

Rovers got thier deserved equaliser from Mr Doncaster Rovers himself -  James Coppinger. He burried a free kick from 25 yards into the top left corner. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account