Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Scunthorpe United 0 Rovers 1 (Emirates FA Cup)

6 November 2021

Match Reports

REPORT | Scunthorpe United 0 Rovers 1 (Emirates FA Cup)

6 November 2021

A Tommy Rowe goal was enough for Rovers to progress into the second round of the FA Cup as they defeated Scunthorpe United 1-0 at the Sands Venue Stadium.

Richie Wellens made one change to the side that picked up a point against Crewe on Tuesday with Ro Shaun Williams dropping to the bench and John Bostock returning to the Starting XI. There were also places on the bench for Academy players Tavonga Kuleya and Will Hollings.

Rovers saw a couple of early chances as Joe Dodoo volleyed over from John Bostock’s corner before Joseph Olowu lacked the required connection on a wicked delivery from Ethan Galbraith.

The visitors continued to pile on the pressure as Dodoo had another sight on goal after Bostock threaded a neat ball through the Scunthorpe backline. However defender Emmanuel Onariase did well to recover and block the goal bound shot.

Dodoo had yet another chance just after the half hour mark as a misplaced header gifted the attacker a golden opportunity to notch the opening goal. But Rory Watson did well to turn the ball round his near post.

Early substitute, Branden Horton had Rovers’ next opportunity as he danced down the left wing before seeing his effort deflected wide for a corner.

Rovers finally made their dominance count after 38 minutes as Rowe the resulting corner and volleyed in.

The Irons attacks were largely toothless in the first half but they finally forged their first real opportunity 42 minutes into the game as Jake Scrimshaw’s header was tipped over by Pontus Dahlberg.

Both sides started the second half with an attacking intent as they exchanged opportunities to score the second goal of the game. First Galbraith fired over from a free kick whilst at the other end Onariase’s header looped over the bar.

The games next chance came on the hour mark as Joe Dodoo tried a spectacular overhead kick, but his effort was tame and Watson collected the ball comfortably under his crossbar.

The visitors continued to dominate proceedings as Tiago Cukur headed wide. Moments later Horton produced a cross from the left which was deflected onto the post before being claimed by the keeper.

The rain started to fall upon the pitch however the chances started to dry up with neither goalkeeper being tested in the closing stages of the game.

A late effort by Aaron Jarvis almost sent the game to a replay but he could only find the side netting with his effort.

The second round draw will take place on Monday November 8 live on ITV at the conclusion of Dagenham and Redbridge vs Salford City.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account