Skip to main content Skip to site footer

REPORT | Rovers U18s 1 Burton U18s 5

30 October 2021


REPORT | Rovers U18s 1 Burton U18s 5

30 October 2021

Sponsored by

A clinical Burton Albion grab three points from Cantley Park.

Gary McSheffrey named an unchanged team from the side that beat Harrogate Town 5-0 midweek.

Within eight minutes of kick-off Burton took the lead through Ben Radcliffe who latched on to a clearance from the Rovers backline. 

In the following attack from the visitors, Bobby Faulkner and Dan Wilds put their bodies on the line with some well-timed last ditch tackles to prevent Burton from getting any sight on goal.

Down the opposite end of the pitch, Rovers’ first shot came from Jack Raper after being set-up by Faulkner following a threatening corner routine. 

After that, Burton doubled their lead following a scathing attack down their right channel was fnished well by Callum Niven.

Rovers had an opportunity to get back into the game when they were awarded two penalties within a 10-minute window. The first taker was captain Wilds whose effort was saved by Jake Laben. Tavonga Kuleya took the second, but Laben was equal to that.

Owen Scattergood got Rovers back into the game from a one-v-one after a brilliant through ball.

But soon after Scattergood’s goal, Burton’s Niven extended his sides lead even further two minutes before the break. 

Burton had a 3-1 lead at half-time but Rovers were still in the game.

As soon as the second-half started, Burton scored a fourth when Jackub Niemczyk cut in from the left and gave himself a yard before scoring past Tom Chambers.

Alex Fletcher replaced an injured Michael Nesbitt and the full back got involved straight away with a ball into the box which met Scattergood, who stabbed the ball over the net. 

On the 80th minute Niven got a hattrick and Burton’s fifth of the game as he fired an unstoppable shot into the top corner of Chambers’ goal.

Tom Parkinson went down with a back spasm which caused a pause in the game. The final chance for Rovers came through Raper and the rebounded effort was off target by Alek Wolny - who was given 20 minutes game time since returning from injury. 

The next game for Rovers U18s is an away trip to Basford United in the FA Youth Cup first round proper on Friday November 5. Ticket details can be found here

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account