Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Rovers 2 Burton Albion 0

23 April 2022

Club News

REPORT | Rovers 2 Burton Albion 0

23 April 2022

Rovers live to fight another day in Sky Bet League One after a 2-0 win over Burton Albion.

Goals from Joe Dodoo and Josh Martin plus a penalty save from Jonathan Mitchell ensured a positive end to Rovers’ home campaign.

Results elsewhere ensured Rovers remain a third tier club for the time being, though a colossal goal swing is required over the final week of the season if they are to survive.

Boss Gary McSheffrey made three changes from the side that started at Shrewsbury five days earlier with Ben Jackson, Reo Griffiths and Dodoo coming in, while Adam Clayton was handed the captain’s armband for the first time in Tommy Rowe’s absence.

The game was bogged down in the middle of the park during the early stages with both sides cancelling each other out.

The first real threat was snuffed out as Ro-Shaun Williams made a timely clearance with Burton’s Sam Hughes looking to poke home from a corner.

At the other end, Josh Martin darted across the face of the box only to see his shot deflect wide.

Clear cut chances were few and far between but the visitors looked the more threatening overall.

Joe Powell raced into the box but saw his drive for the near post blocked out for a corner while Hughes headed over the bar from a set piece.

Burton had their best chance of the opening period on the half hour mark when Gassan Ahadme powered a header narrowly wide.

The visitors were awarded a penalty on 32 minutes when Kyle Knoyle was adjudged to have hauled down John Brayford as they raced to meet a cross.

But Ahadme’s spot kick was saved superbly by Mitchell.

And it laid the groundwork for Rovers to take the lead on 37 minutes. Knoyle was sent racing clear down the right and he chipped in a cross which Dodoo headed home at the far post.

Early in the second half Joseph Olowu sprinted back to make a big block against Harry Chapman as he lined up a clear shot at goal before heading clear at the subsequent corner.

John Bostock fired well wide from 20 yards as the game ticked past the hour mark.

There was a nervy moment when Knoyle lost the flight of the ball which allowed Burton substitute Oumar Niasse sight of goal but he drilled well wide.

And moments later Christian Saydee saw a powerful low drive flash just past the far post.

Rovers went close to extending their advantage on a quick counterattack. Dodoo sent Martin racing through with a well-weighted pass but there was just enough of a touch on the ball from the covering defender to send his shot into the arms of Burton keeper Matej Kovar.

But the lead was doubled on 75 minutes. Griffiths played a stunning ball through the Burton defence for Martin, who rounded the keeper and slotted into an empty net.

Mitchell needed to be alert after Powell skilfully flicked the ball up and hooked a volley on goal, but the Rovers keeper was more than equal to the strike.

There were few chances in the remaining minutes, with Rovers looking the more likely to extend their advantage.

ROVERS: Mitchell, Knoyle, Williams, Olowu (Younger 73), Jackson (John 86), Smith, Bostock, Clayton, Dodoo, Griffiths (Gardner 83), Martin, Subs not used: Jones, Galbraith, Barlow, Hiwula.

BURTON: Kovar, Hamer, Hughes, Brayford, Oshilaja, Kokolo (Lakin 87), Mancienne (Saydee 62), Borthwick-Jackson, Powell, Ahadme (Niasse 62), Chapman. Subs not used: Garratt, Shaughnessy, Maddox, Moult, Lakin.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account