Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Rovers 0 Lincoln City 3

9 August 2022

Club News

REPORT | Rovers 0 Lincoln City 3

9 August 2022

Rovers’ Carabao Cup campaign ended at the first stage with a 3-0 defeat to Lincoln City.

Goals from Charley Kendall, Teddy Bishop and Anthony Scully saw the side from Sky Bet League One into the second round.

Gary McSheffrey made four changes from the side that started the win over Sutton united at the weekend with Kieran Agard, Lee Tomlin, Liam Ravenhill and Adam Long all coming in.

One of those players to retain his place, Harrison Biggins, hooked wide from a good position in the opening seconds of the game.

But it was Lincoln who had the better of the early possession, albeit in the middle of the park.

That was until the visitors took the lead in the 12th minute with their first real attack. Teddy Bishop surged into space on the left of the box and drilled low across goal for Charley Kendall to slot in from six yards.

Rovers threatened an immediate equaliser as James Maxwell took possession on the corner of the box and sent a low ball towards the back post that was just out of reach for Lee Tomlin.

Lincoln continued to have the better of things and were close to adding a second. Anthony Scully progressed up the pitch before cutting back to Bishop who curled wide of the far post.

Rovers began to find their feet in the game and a good move led to Adam Clayton firing over the bar from 20 yards.

It took a string of blocks from the visiting defence to prevent Rovers from turning home in a goalmouth scramble on the half hour mark.

Lincoln went closest to adding to the score before the break when Chris Maguire met a free kick into the box and drilled across goal, with a touch from Paudie O’Connor turning the ball narrowly wide.

The Imps did double their advantage two minutes into the second half.

Rovers were caught in possession in the attacking half and the ball was released to Bishop, who dribbled all the way into the box and slotted into the bottom corner.

Tomlin embarked on a mazy dribble of his own moments later but was unable to get any power into his shot under pressure after entering the box.

Regan Poole and Tashan Oakley-Booth both fired over the bar in quick succession for the visitors before they grabbed their third on 61 minutes.

After breaking clear, Anthony Scully squared to Maguire, who drew a fine save from Jonathan Mitchell. But Scully raced in to follow up and turn into an empty net.

Substitute Kyle Hurst tested Lincoln keeper Carl Rushworth after picking up the ball on the edge of the box.

Youngster Jack Goodman came off the bench and drew a save from Rushworth with a powerful drive, but it was not to be Rovers’ night.

Rovers: Mitchell, Knoyle, Olowu (Williams 33), Long, Maxwell, Ravenhill (Hurst 46), Clayton, Biggins, Tomlin (Kuleya 66), Andrews (Seaman 66), Agard (Goodman 84). Subs: Jones, Faulkner, Whiting, Degruchy.

Lincoln: Rushworth, Eyoma, Jackson (Poole 44), O’Connor, Roughan, Maguire (Makama 83), Oakley-Booth (Worsfold-Gregg 83), Sanders, Bishop, Scully, Kendall. Subs: Wright, Hopper, Robson, House, Sorensen, Adelakun.

Referee: Anthony Backhouse

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account