Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Northampton 0 Rovers 1

27 August 2022

Match Reports

REPORT | Northampton 0 Rovers 1

27 August 2022

Rovers made it six league games unbeaten as a George Miller penalty earns Gary McSheffrey's side three points away from home.

Rovers inflicted Northampton's first defeat of the season, while McSheffrey's side remain unbeaten in the campaign. 

Gary McSheffrey made two changes to the side that beat Salford City 2-1. Tom Anderson missed out through injury while James Maxwell was dropped to bench to allow attacker Luke Molyneux’s first

Northampton started off as the better side with chances falling within the opening six minutes for Marc Leonard and Sam Hoskins.

Bobby Faulkner confidently blocked the formers chance before Mitchell saved from the Hoskins direct free-kick. He continued to have an exceptional game, making pivotal blocks and interceptions throughout the game, looking composed and confident throughout.

Rovers grew into the game, playing some good possessive football, but struggled – for the most part – to break into the box.

Most of Rovers’ chances came from set pieces in the first-half with the first coming from a free-kick where Adam Clayton chipped the ball into the box, it found George Miller who chested it into the path of Kyle Hurst, but a Northampton defender was quick to swoop the danger away before Hurst could pull the trigger.

Clayton almost scored directly from a corner that was punched away by the panicked Lee Burge before later in the opening period Clayton’s second corner would result in three consecutive shots from Lee Tomlin. All of Tomlin’s efforts were frustratingly blocked by Northampton’s defenders.

The game remained goalless at the break with Rovers looking the stronger of the two sides.

Rovers came out rapidly in the second half with Miller, Rowe and Biggins having some good chances early in the second period.

But it was Lee Tomlin on the 54th minute who had the best chance as he shot straight into Lee Burge’s arms.

Faulkner thought he had found the back of the goal, and Rovers’ first of the afternoon, as he headed home from a corner but it was ruled out for a foul.

Rovers eventually took the lead as Lee Tomlin was fouled in the area, referee Neil Hair awarded a penalty to Rovers. It was an anxious wait as Tomlin required treatment for two minutes before Miller could take the spot kick.

But Rovers number nine was unfazed and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way as he scored in the bottom right corner of goal.

After going behind, the Cobblers made a double change with Danny Hylton and Jack Sowerby replacing Appere and Shaun McWilliams.

The hosts gained a bit of traction from that point and threw the kitchen sink at Rovers, but failed to muster any serious chances that put Jonathan Mitchell or his defence at risk.

Rovers held onto their narrow lead to make it six league games unbeaten in Sky Bet League Two.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account