Skip to main content Skip to site footer

REPORT | Rovers U18s 3 Rotherham U18s 1

20 February 2022


REPORT | Rovers U18s 3 Rotherham U18s 1

20 February 2022

Sponsored by

Rovers U18s returned to winning ways with victory over Rotherham United thanks to a stylish second-half performance at the Eco-Power Stadium.

It was the third time the two South Yorkshire rivals met this season and goals from Jack Goodman and second-half substitute Alex Wolny were enough to ensure Rovers recorded a league double over the Millers.

Goalkeeper Luke Chadwick took the captain’s armband for the fixture with regular skipper Dan Wilds missing through a suspension sustained at Bradford City alongside centre back Michael Nesbitt.

The first half was a cagey, end-to-end affair but it was Rovers who had the bigger chances, the most notable been when approaching the half-hour mark, Tom Henson broke down the right-wing and provided Owen Scattergood with an inch-perfect cross who controlled well and took aim low at goal but the United keeper brilliantly saved to turn the ball away for an eventual corner.

United had the last chance of the first 45 when their number forward shot from distance but Chadwick made sure it safely passed over his crossbar as the two sides entered the break at 0-0.

Two minutes into the second-half forward Tavonga Kuleya sprayed a great ball out wide to Will Hollings who had the time to pick out an unmarked Goodman in the box whose touch took the ball past the keeper leaving the ball to be passed into the goal from a matter of yards to give Rovers the lead.

The Millers equalised eight minutes later after a knock on in the box found their defender free in the goal mouth and the ball was prodded over the line.

United’s equaliser triggered the introduction of Wolny for Owen Scattergood and he had an immediate impact.

A Rovers corner was swung into the area and after an initial knock on, the ball found Wolny who managed to steer the ball into the bottom right corner with almost his first touch to restore the home side's lead at 2-1.

Shortly after, Wolny had the ball in the back of the net again but this time saw it disallowed for being offside.

The 17-year-old again found himself involved when he played a defence-splitting ball through to Goodman who was brought down by the keeper and he appeared to be the last man but after the referee conferred with the linesman, he was only presented with a yellow card.

Entering the last 15 minutes, Rovers found themselves with a freekick on the left-hand side which Hollings delivered and found Wolny who smartly flicked it on over the goalkeeper to get Rovers third and his second of the game.

In the last 10 minutes, Max Adamson was introduced in place of Goodman as Rovers looked to see out the game.

Rovers controlled the last 10 and Wolny could’ve had his hat-trick goal at the death but one touch too many touches meant the goalkeeper could collect and the game ended in 3-1 win over their rivals.

The result moves Rovers up to fifth in the Youth Alliance League on 22 points and Tony Cook’s side will now turn their attentions to the next game at Harrogate Town on Saturday, February 26.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account