Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Rovers 0 Charlton 1

26 March 2022

Club News

REPORT | Rovers 0 Charlton 1

26 March 2022

Rovers found only frustration as they were beaten by Charlton Athletic in Sky Bet League One.

Jonathan Mitchell pulled off a string of excellent first half saves including a fine penalty stop from Conor Washington but Rovers could not make them count at the other end of the pitch.

And they were undone with a goal from Jayden Stockley which secured the visitors their victory.

Boss Gary McSheffrey made three changes from the side that started the draw at Fleetwood with Adam Clayton, Matt Smith and Joe Dodoo coming into the team.

Ben Purrington sidefooted wide from an early Charlton corner.

And Ben Jackson needed to be well placed to clear a Stockley shot off the line after a mazy run from Corey Blackett-Taylor put Rovers on the back foot.

Charlton were awarded a penalty on 14 minutes when Kyle Knoyle mistimed his challenge on Blackett-Taylor.

But Mitchell got down superbly to stop and hold Washington’s spot kick.

The visitors continued to have the better of the attacking play and it took a couple of big saves from Mitchell to keep them at bay.

First, he recovered well after giving the ball away to Stockley, who squared across the box to Washington for the tap in only for Mitchell to save on his line.

And moments later he plucked a header from Stockley out of the air with the towering striker looking certain to score.

Sean Clare looked to catch Mitchell off guard with a pot shot from 20 yards but the Rovers keeper blocked and held at the second attempt.

Rovers’ best effort of the half saw Ben Jackson meet an Aidan Barlow cross with a first-time side-footed shot only to see it blocked by Clare.

McSheffrey opted for a change at the break with Ollie Younger replacing Barlow and Knoyle shifting to right wing back.

Charlton had the first opportunity of the second half with Stockley dropping a header narrowly wide of the post after meeting an early cross.

Knoyle struck a first-time effort with the outside of his boot but could only watch the ball slice wide as Rovers began to enjoy more attacking threat.

Matt Smith had two bites of the cherry before drilling a low effort narrowly wide from just inside the box.

The visitors broke the deadlock on 67 minutes. Blackett-Taylor charged the byline and cut a pass back into the middle of the box where Stockley found the far corner.

Charlton looked the more likely to add to the score and Mitchell saved well with his leg after the lively Blackett-Taylor broke into space.

The Addicks were almost gifted a second after Rovers were caught on the ball in the middle of the park. Washington raced clear but was denied with an excellent one-on-one save from Mitchell while Stockley rattled the bar with his follow-up attempt.

McSheffrey threw on Josh Martin and John Bostock in a bid to chase the equaliser but Rovers found themselves frustrated in their pursuit.

They did almost snatch a last-gasp equaliser when Tommy Rowe drilled a low effort that was blocked by Charlton keeper Craig MacGillivray before Jordy Hiwula dragged a shot wide.

Rovers: Mitchell, Barlow (Younger 46), Smith (Bostock 76), Clayton, Jackson (Martin 72), Rowe, Hiwula, Dodoo. Subs not used: Jones, Horton, Gardner, Griffiths.

Charlton: MacGillivray, Clare, Lavelle, Purrington, Matthews, Gilbey, Dobson, Fraser (Lee 90), Blackett-Taylor (Famewo 90), Washington, Stockley. Subs not used: Harness, Pearce, Jaiyesimi, Leko, Burstow.

Referee: Sam Allison

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account