Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 1 Colchester United 0

29 April 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 1 Colchester United 0

29 April 2023

Rovers signed off on home soil for the season with a 1-0 victory over Colchester United.

Club captain Tommy Rowe turned home from close range in the first half to set Rovers on their way to a much-needed triumph following a difficult run of late season form.

It was a performance packed with plenty of commitment and endeavour as Rovers battled well to maintain their advantage against an in-form side.

Danny Schofield made five changes to the side that started the previous game against Newport County. Louis Jones was handed his first league start of the season in goal while Harrison Biggins, Tommy Rowe, Charlie Seaman and Zain Westbrooke also came into the XI.

Rovers started brightly and Aidan Barlow was close to breaking the deadlock early. He latched onto a slack clearance and curled narrowly wide of the far post from the corner of the box.

The visitors grew into the contest and began to threaten, particularly from balls into the box.

Jones was forced to tip over the bar when Luke Chambers looped a header from a deep free kick, while Ro-Shaun Williams needed to take evasive action after John Akinde got to a cross ahead of the Rovers keeper.

Young Colchester striker Samson Tovide twice got into good positions to meet crosses but sent both headers over the bar.

Jones raced off his line to produce an excellent save, making himself big to block a shot from Akinde who had been played in behind the Rovers back line.

Colchester continued to pose the greater threat with Noah Chilvers hooking wide from a Fiacre Kelleher knockdown. And Jones needed to be alert once more as he got down low to stop and hold a fizzing strike from Arthur Read.

But it was Rovers who took the lead on the half hour. Bobby Faulkner met a free kick into the box and flicked a header towards goal, with Rowe arriving to get the decisive touch at close range.

Rowe was in the right place at the right time at the other end as half time approach as he made a superb block from a powerful Read effort.

Rovers started the second half as they did the first. Westbrooke and Todd Miller collided as they looked to meet a Luke Molyneux cross before the former saw a shot deflect wide.

Seaman smashed an ambitious effort from 40 yards but saw the shot fly off target.

Colchester saw more of the ball as the half wore on but struggled to produce many real moments of true threat. Jones was forced to push away a strong drive from U’s substitute Jayden Fevrier.

Play evened out in the later stages. Barlow flicked narrowly wide from a good position after a corner was nodded down by Bobby Faulkner.

And, in the final act of the game, Jones produced a stunning save on his line to keep out a rasping volley from Akinde to ensure the victory.

Rovers: Jones, Faulkner, Williams, Rowe, Seaman, Biggins, Close, Molyneux, Westbrooke (Hurst 79), Barlow, Miller (Goodman 88). Subs not used: Mitchell, Brown, Degruchy, Ravenhill, Kuleya, Goodman.

Colchester: Smith, Greenidge (Fevrier 60), Chambers, Kelleher (Jay 80), Hall, Tchamadeu, Chilvers, Ashley, Read, Akinde, Tovide (Hopper 73). Subs not used: Dallison, Newby, Kazeem, Marshall-Miranda.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account