Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 0 Crewe Alexandra 2

1 April 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 0 Crewe Alexandra 2

1 April 2023

A disappointing first half performance set Rovers on their way to a 2-0 defeat to Crewe Alexandra.

Two goals in six minutes from Courtney Baker-Richardson and Connor Riordan saw Crewe punish Rovers, who rallied in the second half but could not find a way back.

Young striker Jack Goodman was handed his first senior league minutes in the second half and was the real positive aspect for Rovers as they hunted a comeback.

Danny Schofield made two changes to the side that started the previous week against Northampton Town with Kyle Hurst and Ben Nelson both returning to the XI.

Charlie Seaman produced an excellent block to turn behind a drive from Crewe’s Callum Ainley in the early stages.

Joseph Olowu was forced off after 19 minutes due to injury with Bobby Faulkner heading on as replacement.

Crewe enjoyed the better of the attacking play and Jonathan Mitchell was called into action to keep out a powerful strike from Lachlan Brook midway through the half.

The visitors took the lead on 31 minutes. A ball into the box from the left was not cleared and fell to Baker-Richardson who drilled low to find the back of the net.

Faulkner got in the way of a strike from Brook after the ball had been lost on the edge of the area as Crerwe continued to push.

And they doubled the advantage on 37 minutes. A corner was headed back across by Courtney Baker-Richardson and nodded home from close range by the towering O’Riordan.

Rovers had their first meaningful chance of the half in the final action of the period as Hurst collected a Luke Molyneux cross in front of goal but could only poke a tame effort at James Beadle in the Crewe goal.

Schofield sent on Zain Westbrooke and U18 top scorer Goodman at the break.

Rovers were brighter in the early stages of the second half. Charlie Seaman clipped an effort over the bar after good link-up play between Goodman and Molyneux.

Ben Close sent in a free kick that was headed out from under the bar as Rovers pushed. At the other end, Faulkner produced a good block to deny Baker-Richardson clear sight of goal.

A combination of Rowe and Faulkner sent the ball on goal and forced Beadle into an acrobatic save in Rovers’ most threatening period.

And from the subsequent corner, Westbrooke forced a good save with a brilliant shot on the volley.

Goodman delivered the brightest spark for Rovers and powered a shot into the sidenetting.

The last act went to the visitors with substitute Elliott Nevitt drawing a good save from Mitchell when he latched onto a loose ball in front of goal.

Rovers: Mitchell, Olowu (Faulkner 19), Anderson, Nelson, Seaman, Close, Rowe, Ravenhill (Westbrooke 46), Hurst, T Miller (Goodman 46), Molyneux. Subs not used: Bottomley, Degruchy, Barlow, Agard.

Crewe: Beadle, Mellor, O’Riordan, Offord, Adebisi (Robertson 55), Brook (Long 62), Thomas, Ainley (Nevitt 71), Tabiner (Griffiths 71), Baker-Richardson, Agyei. Subs not used: Richards, Colkett, Kempster-Down.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account