Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 2 Tranmere Rovers 0

7 February 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 2 Tranmere Rovers 0

7 February 2023

Two goals in three minutes helped Rovers return to winning ways against Tranmere Rovers.

After being second best for the opening hour, Rovers roared into life with a quick fire double from Ben Close and Kyle Hurst to collect a first win since New Year’s Day.

Danny Schofield made four changes to the side that started the weekend defeat to Hartlepool United with Tommy Rowe returning to the starting XI, Charlie Lakin handed his full debut and Luke Molyneux restored.

Rovers struggled to get going throughout the opening half with Tranmere controlling possession. Chances from the visitors mainly came from distance but they undoubtedly created the most pressure after a tame opening to the contest.

Jonathan Mitchell produced an excellent save to tip wide a shot from Regan Hendry from 20 yards. And it took a powerful header from Tom Anderson to keep a dangerous cross away from Kane Hemmings moment later.

Josh Hawkes tried his luck from 25 yards for Tranmere but found Mitchell more than equal to his effort.

The visitors continued to have the better of the chances and full back Ethan Bristow struck the outside of the post from the corner of the box with a rasping first time strike.

Kane Hemmings looked to catch Mitchell off his line in stoppage time but the dipping effort from distance dropped comfortably wide.

Hawkes saw a shot deflect over the bar in the early moments of the second half while Mitchell produced an excellent save at his near post to deny Hemmings, with Rowe bravely blocking the follow-up.

Rovers began to show some real threat as the hour marked approached, with Hurst seeing a shot blocked by Tom Davies after fine build-up play.

And they broke the deadlock on 62 minutes. A James Brown cross was cleared out only as far as Close, who shifted into space and shot, with the ball looping up off an outstretched leg and over Tranmere keeper Mateusz Hewelt.

And the lead was doubled three minutes later. Lakin robbed the ball midway through the Tranmere half and hooked a superbly-weighted pass out to Hurst, who slotted into the far corner from 15 yards.

Rovers were comfortable in their lead in the remaining time with few moments of threat from the visitors.

Hendry sent a free kick from distance narrowly wide while Mitchell denied substitute Jake Burton with a good save in injury time.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account