Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Rossington Main 1 Rovers 3

8 July 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Rossington Main 1 Rovers 3

8 July 2023

Goals from Tommy Rowe, George Broadbent and George Miller saw Rovers open their pre-season friendly programme with victory over neighbours Rossington Main.

Rovers were given a tough workout by the hosts at Oxford Street, who took an early lead in the game.

But three pieces of quality play in the final third told the difference on the scoresheet at least, in front of almost than 1,700 supporters - a record crowd for the venue.

Manager Grant McCann prioritised fitness and conditioning above all else for the game and was left content with the efforts in testing conditions.

The opening half saw Richard Wood, Jack Senior, Joe Ironside and Owen Bailey make their first appearances in Rovers colours, while Ian Lawlor marked his return to the club between the sticks.

The entire XI was changed at the break, with Broadbent and Jamie Sterry getting their first introduction to Rovers supporters.

The hosts struck first following a scrappy start to the game. Ross Hannah arrived into the box to meet a knockdown and slam in a first time finish to put Rossington ahead on six minutes.

It took a while for Rovers to settle in the hot and sticky conditions but they were soon in the ascendency.

Charlie Seaman forced Main keeper Lewis Hill to tip around the post with a powerful drive from 25 yards after being picked out by Ironside.

And by 15 minutes, Rovers were level. Senior delivered a great ball to the near post from a corner with Rowe racing in to flick home a header.

Harrison Biggins proved to be a big threat in the middle stages of the half. The midfielder powered forward with the ball for a shot from 20 yards, which Hill gathered at the second attempt.

Biggins drew another save from the Rossington keeper moments later after working space to strike from the edge of the box. And from the subsequent corner, he flicked a header narrowly over the bar.

Luke Molyneux produced a trademark cut inside and shot but saw his effort deflected wide before Hill acrobatically tipped a powerful Adam Long header over the bar from another good delivery by Senior.

The frenetic nature of the action dipped into the later stages of the half with Rovers comfortably in control.

After all change at the break, Rovers took the lead on 54 minutes when Broadbent smashed a shot into the top corner from 25 yards out, giving former Rovers keeper Jan Budtz no chance.

Rovers were neat and tidy in possession through the majority of the second period, happy to pick their moments to play.

Midway through the half, Miller found space in the middle of goal to meet a superb cross from Sterry and head on target, testing Budtz.

Miller made no mistake a few moments later however. Played in by the lively Tavonga Kuleya, he produced a neat chipped finish to extend Rovers’ advantage on 71 minutes.

Zain Westbrooke tested the alertness of Budtz with a low drive, after opting to go for goal when finding little support on the corner of the box.

Miller consistently looked to spring in behind the opposition and went close with an angled drive late in the game after darting into the box.

Rovers first half XI: Lawlor, Seaman, Wood, Long, Senior, Biggins, Bailey, Rowe, Molyneux, Ironside, Griffiths.

Rovers second half XI: Bottomley, Sterry, Olowu, Faulkner, Maxwell, Westbrooke, Close, Broadbent, Kuleya (Goodman 81), Miller, Hurst.

Subs: Brown, Flint, Degruchy.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account