Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 0 Harrogate Town 2

7 March 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 0 Harrogate Town 2

7 March 2023

Two late goals condemned Rovers to a 2-0 defeat to fellow Yorkshire outfit Harrogate Town.

Luke Armstrong and substitute Alex Pattison both netted inside the last ten minutes to see the visitors claim the three points.

Rovers struggled to find their flow throughout on a disappointing night at the Eco-Power Stadium.

Danny Schofield made one change to the side that started the draw at Stockport County four days earlier with Ben Close returning.

There was a frantic nature to the early stages of the game with neither side able to enjoy lengthy spells of possession.

Luke Molyneux was able to take advantage of space afforded to him to show real threat in the opening minutes. He cut inside off the right and forced Harrogate keeper Mark Oxley to tip wide with a low shot towards the near post.

And he again called Oxley into action moments later as he ghosted across the face of the box and drilled a shot on goal.

Those two efforts sandwiched a good chance at the other end. Luke Armstrong’s touch from a fizzed in pass flicked the ball up and he volleyed an effort which Jonathan Mitchell batted away.

Mitchell was as busy as his opposite number over the first quarter hour and got down well to push away a potshot from Kazeem Olaigbe.

If the opening quarter of the game was frenetic, the remainder of the first half was a much more timid affair with both sides struggling to register opportunities of real note.

Molyneux spun onto a pass and drilled over the bar just after the half hour mark.

The visitors showed the greater threat in the early stages of the second half and it took another fine save from Mitchell to keep out Olaigbe, who smashed a shot through a crowd of bodies in the box.

But the game settled into a more familiar pattern, with neither side enjoying a measure of control.

Space opened up for Joseph Olowu to race through the opposition half and he fired over the bar from 20 yards.

Mitchell was equal to a couple of efforts from Danny Grant while Harrison Biggins shot over from 25 yards at the other end.

The most dangerous moment from Rovers came midway through the second half when Molyneux poked the ball across the face of goal, sparking a goalmouth scramble which saw substitute George Miller and Harrison Biggins have shots blocked.

Harrogate took the lead on 81 minutes. Armstrong headed against the post from a free kick and reacted quickest to bundle the ball home from close range.

Three minutes later the lead was doubled when Rovers were caught cold, with Pattison racing into space on the right and firing home from the corner of the box.

Rovers searched for a route back in but a shot over the bar from Miller was as close as it came.

Rovers: Mitchell, Olowu (Lakin 73), Anderson, Nelson, Brown, Biggins, Close, Rowe, Molyneux (Barlow 83), Hurst (T Miller 83), Lavery (G Miller 67). Subs not used: Oram, Long, Seaman.

Harrogate: Oxley, Sims, O’Connor, Eastman, Foulds, Muldoon (Daly 80), Faulkingham, Sutton (Thomson 90), Grant (Pattison 75), Olaigbe, Armstrong. Subs not used: Giles, Mattock, Burrell, Folarin.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account