Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Stockport County 0 Rovers 0

4 March 2023

Match Reports

REPORT | Stockport County 0 Rovers 0

4 March 2023

Rovers battled out a goalless draw with Stockport County in a competitive clash at Edgeley Park.

Chances for both sides were at a premium throughout in a highly energetic contest, with the two sides managing the game well.

Danny Schofield made two changes from the side that started the clash with Bradford City as Luke Molyneux and Caolan Lavery were both handed starts.

The hosts began the game the brighter and looked a threat down their right flank. Inside two minutes, former Rovers full back Kyle Knoyle sent in a dangerous cross only for Kyle Wootton to scuff his header.

And moments later Jonathan Mitchell produced an excellent save to claw away a header at his near post from Ryan Rydel.

Will Collar sidefooted wide from a good position after meeting a driven ball from Rydel as Stockport continued to have the better of early play.

Rovers’ first real sight of goal came on the 20 minute mark. After a powerful run out of midfield from Harrison Biggins, he found James Brown in acres of space on the right. The cross in deflected off the head of Rydel and Lavery hooked wide from 15 yards as he met the dropping ball first time.

The chance marked the start of Rovers growing into the game and they began to enjoy more meaningful possession afterwards.

Chances were hard to come by for both sides for the remainder of the first half, until Harrison Biggins flicked a header on goal from a Brown free kick, but Stockport keeper Ben Hinchliffe held well.

Mitchell produced an excellent save five minutes into the second half as he went full-stretch to tip away a header from Knoyle. Tommy Rowe fired wide from 20 yards for Rovers moments later.

The game appeared to be opening up and it took a brilliant block from defender Chris Hussey to deny Biggins after he raced onto a fine cutback from Charlie Lakin.

Kyle Hurst looked set to deliver a trademark solo effort as he embarked on a surging run from half way but Hinchliffe proved equal to the shot at the end of it.

It took a pair of blocks from Joseph Olowu and Brown to keep out efforts from Rydel and Jacob Davenport in quick succession.

And Stockport substitute Myles Hippolyte drilled a shot from 25 yards that threatened the top corner.

Captain Tom Anderson produced a timely header off the line as a corner threatened to creep in as the game ticked into the final 15 minutes.

Chances were hard to come by for both sides in the later stages as the two looked to manage the game.

Rydel headed straight at Mitchell as he met a dangerous cross from the right in the only real opportunity of the dying minutes.

Stockport: Hinchliffe, Wright (Byrne 64), Horsfall, Hussey, Knoyle, Collar, Davenport, Sarcevic (Hippolyte 64), Rydel, Olaofe, Wootton. Subs not used: Jaros, Camps, Madden, Stretton, Croasdale.

Rovers: Mitchell, Olowu, Anderson, Nelson, Brown, Close, Lakin, Rowe, Molyneux (Close 83), Hurst, Lavery (G Miller 71), Subs not used: Oram, Long, Seaman, Barlow, T Miller.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account