Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Rovers 2 AFC Wimbledon 1

11 March 2023

Rovers produced a fine comeback to secure a 2-1 win over AFC Wimbledon.

Goals from Harrison Biggins and George Miller saw Rovers fight back to lead after falling behind to a Josh Davison effort.

It was a game where showed a clinical edge in front of goal with the chances they did create, before standing up valiantly to the pressure of the visitors in the second half.

Danny Schofield made three changes to the side that started the midweek clash with Harrogate Town as Miller, Charlie Seaman and Charlie Lakin all returned.

The game took a while to ignite with neither side able to mount meaningful possession inside the opening ten minutes.

The first sign of danger came when Joseph Olowu pushed forward and clipped in a cross which was just out of reach of the on-rushing Lakin.

The visitors took the lead on 18 minutes with their first real opportunity as Davison’s tame effort squirmed underneath Jonathan Mitchell and rolled into the back of the net.

Rovers drew level on 27 minutes. Seaman flighted in a superb ball from deep and Biggins rose to nod home from a tight angle.

Buoyed by the goal, Rovers remained on the front foot. Kyle Hurst - on for the injured Lakin - fired a shot from 30 yards which Wimbledon keeper Mik Tzanev held well.

The turnaround was complete on 32 minutes however. From a free kick out wide, Ben Close spotted Miller in space and sent across a low pass which the striker swept in from 15 yards for his tenth league goal of the season.

Close saw a shot from distance deflect wide before the break.

The visitors had the majority of the chances in the second half as they looked for a way back into the game but Rovers stood up well to the pressure.

Mitchell produced a fine save to keep out a testing drive from substitute Kasey McAteer and was well placed moments later to keep out a powerful effort from Ali Al-Hamadi.

McAteer was a lively presence for Wimbledon and it took a good block from Ben Nelson to prevent him from finding the target just before the hour.

Olowu almost produced something spectacular as he connected with a superb overhead kick from a Luke Molyneux cross, only to see the effort deflect wide.

Rovers’ defensive efforts continued to be strong, limiting the visitors to few opportunities.

There were a few nervy moments in the dying minutes with Sam Pearson hooking over the bar in the last few seconds of the 90.

And with the last kick of the game, Saikou Janneh smashed a shot on goal, only for teammate Ethan Chislett to turn the ball over the bar from a yard out.

But Rovers were not to be denied a welcome win.

Rovers: Mitchell, Olowu, Nelson, Rowe, Brown, Close, Biggins, Seaman, Molyneux, Lakin (Hurst 20), G Miller. Subs not used: Oram, Long, Ravenhill, Barlow, T Miller, Lavery.

Wimbledon: Tzanev Nightingale (McAteer 45), Pearce, Pierre (Gunter 82), Marsh, Woodyard (Pearson 85), Little, Currie, Chislett, Al-Hamadi, Davison (Janneh 89). Subs not used: Broome.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account