Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT | Crewe Alexandra 3 Rovers 2

25 November 2023

Club News

REPORT | Crewe Alexandra 3 Rovers 2

25 November 2023

Rovers fell to a late defeat in Sky Bet League Two as they were beaten by Crewe Alexandra at the Mornflake Stadium.

Mo Faal opened the scoring for Grant McCann’s men with a beautifully crafted low finish but Rovers found themselves behind at the break.

Luke Offord and Connor O’Riordan netted to see the hosts in front.

Rovers responded in the second half with another neat move as Joe Ironside headed home to level but as they pushed for a winner, O’Riordan snatched all three points for the Railwaymen late on.

The hosts got off to a bright start down the flanks with Courtney Baker-Richardson and Rio Adebisi both looking dangerous but by the 10-minutes mark, Rovers had found their feet.

McCann’s side found their first opportunity of the game when James Maxwell made a darting run into the centre to meet Zain Westbrooke’s cross from the right but his header was over.

Rovers next chance came minutes later though and they made no mistake.

Maxwell and Ben Close linked up on the left to find Ironside on the edge of the box and he found Faal to fire the visitors in front with a driven effort.

Maxwell then became the first carded player of the match before Louis Jones was forced into a couple of great saves to first deny Aaron Rowe on the left and then Offord.

Rovers got back on the front foot and looked dangerous for a second goal with Luke Molyneux but his deflected shot fell at the hands of the keeper and the tide changed again.

On the half-hour mark, the hosts got down the right and the ball broke free for Offord to close in on Louis Jones and squeeze home to equalise.

The hosts then looked bright and had a trio of chances in the next ten minutes as Tom Anderson entered the book but Crewe found their lead just before the break.

A looping ball from the right found it’s way to the near post and O’Riordan smashed home from an acute angle to see Rovers behind at the interval.

The visitors came out for the second half with a new lease of life and quickly established themselves as the team on top in the early knockings.

Faal found the first chance of the half with an effort from range but his power lacked direction and saw the ball wide.

Bailey’s luck was then out with a ranged effort of his own but after a string of set-pieces, Rovers found their own equaliser.

Molyneux moved the ball out to Maxwell and the latter curled the ball onto the head of Ironside to pick out the top-right corner and see Rovers level with half an hour to play.

The striker then had another header at the back post after peeling away from his man but the keeper collected and the search for a winner went on.

Crewe grew back into the game towards the final ten minutes and saw Baker-Richardson with a golden opportunity but failed to convert.

At the other end, Tommy Rowe nearly struck gold with his first touch of the ball but his shot just missed the top left corner.

Tom Nixon tried his luck in the last minute of regular time but saw his shot wide also.

A late barrage of Crewe pressure then swarmed Rovers’ right-hand side in stoppage time and the hosts managed to find O’Riordan for his second of the game and a late winner.

Rovers: Jones, Maxwell (Rowe 82), Senior, Anderson, Bailey, Nixon, Westbrooke (Broadbent 82), Close, Molyneux (Biggins 90), Ironside, Faal. Subs not used: Lawlor, Wood, Hurst, Goodman.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account