Skip to main content Skip to site footer

REPORT | Hartlepool U18s 1 Rovers U18s 0

9 October 2023


REPORT | Hartlepool U18s 1 Rovers U18s 0

9 October 2023

Sponsored by

Rovers U18s fell to defeat in the north east as they were beaten by Hartlepool United in the EFL Youth Alliance League.

Frank Sinclair’s side dominated large spells of possession throughout the game but Alfie Steel’s goal saw the points remain with the Pools.

The result sees Rovers remain on one point in the Youth Alliance league but they now turn their attentions to league cup action where they can make back-to-back wins.

The visitors looked to have started the game the stronger of the two sides and almost found their reward just after the first quarter of an hour.

Freddie Allen pounced on to a looping ball, brought it down and powered the ball towards the top left corner but the ‘keeper used his outstretched arm to tip over the crossbar.

The youth team continued to work on their early green patch and they found their next opportunity on 34 minutes.

Kenneth Imariagbe got in behind to latch on to Jaiden Campbell-Ryce’s ball and took on a shot at the near post first time but the Pools stopper reacted well to bat away.

Just before the break Hartlepool got their first clear cut chance when an attacker at the far post unleashed a driven ball across goal but Jacob Bryant did well to push away and the deadlock was still intact at the break.

Rovers were on top but at the start of the second half their hard work was undone.

The hosts swung in again from the right and a bounce in front of Bryant took the ball towards the back post where Hartlepool’s Steel was ready to head into the back of the net and take the lead.

Shortly after Bryant reacted well to collect a sliced clearance in the Rovers backline and Rovers’ keeper gave his side a foundation to build from.

Sinclair’s side were looking to respond and continued to find themselves on the ball but with no equaliser arriving, the youth team manager made his first changes to bring Will Green and Jamie Tomlinson off for Deshaun Musgrave-Dore and Rhomani Murray respectively.

Rovers showcased some great passing moves as they piled the pressure on the Pools’ backline and Imariagbe made a nuisance of himself but further changes for the hosts came.

Kasper Williams made way for Finn Shone for the final quarter of an hour and the next big chance went the way of the hosts.

Hartlepool got themselves into a great position but the striker couldn’t keep his shot down and the ball was sent over the fences behind the goal.

Oliver Piekarski made his return to action for the youth team as he took the place of Kenzie Dillon in the final ten minutes but Rovers couldn’t make their impressive play count and the hosts took all three points.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account