Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Colchester United 1 Rovers 4

23 April 2024

Match Reports

REPORT | Colchester United 1 Rovers 4

23 April 2024

Rovers equalled the club record for successive wins as they swept aside Colchester United at the Jobserve Community Stadium.

Goals from Luke Molyneux, Harrison Biggins, Tom Anderson and Joe Ironside saw Rovers storm back from a goal down to secure a tenth straight league win.

It was another stern test of character for Rovers, who found themselves behind early to a tenacious Colchester side in need of points to secure their League Two status.

But the passed with flying colours as they made history - matching the heroics of the 1946/47 campaign with the winning run.

Grant McCann made two changes from the side that started the win over Barrow four days earlier as Anderson and Biggins returned to the XI.

The hosts made a strong start to the game and were in Rovers’ faces from the opening whistle.

And they took a ninth minute lead as Rovers struggled to clear their lines. Tom Hopper got in behind the defence and sent a low ball across the box which Fevrier met at the far post and fired home.

The response from Rovers was superb however and by 14 minutes they were level. Jamie Sterry sent Molyneux away with a short free kick and the wide man cut inside before lashing a low effort that found the far bottom corner from 25 yards.

There was a high tempo to the game that did not dip after the eventful start. Noah Chilvers raced onto a loose ball and curled an effort on goal from 20 yards that Thimothée Lo-Tutala held well.

And quick as a flash, Rovers were in front. Great movement of the ball around the box saw Molyneux released. He hit the byline and cut back for the on-rushing Biggins who swept high into the goal first time to give Rovers a 22nd minute lead.

Lo-Tutala produced a stunning save moments later as he batted away a fierce close range volley from John Akinde.

Sterry cut across the face of the box and sent a left-footed effort towards the bottom corner but Sam Hornby made the save.

Colchester had another big opportunity as half time approached as Fevrier met a Chilvers cross at the far post but could not send the ball over Lo-Tutala.

The hosts pushed for the equaliser and enjoyed the better of the possession play in the early stages of the second half.

But Rovers dealt with the pressure superbly and denied Colchester real sight of goal for the majority.

It was McCann’s side who continued to produce the better of the chances. James Maxwell struck a fine volley from the edge of the box which drew a save from Hornby, who also held a header from Owen Bailey.

Rovers extended the advantage on 76 minutes. Hakeeb Adelakun floated a free kick over the top which was met by Anderson, who struck a side-foot volley in at the near post.

Substitute Bradley Ihionvien flashed a fierce strike across goal as Colchester refused to lie down.

But Rovers made sure of the win on 85 minutes. Maxwell saw a first time shot tipped onto the post but Ironside reacted superbly to fire home his 19th league goal of the season.

Rovers: Lo-Tutala, Sterry, Anderson, Wood, Maxwell, Craig (Rowe 76), Molyneux (Hurst 85), Bailey, Biggins, Adelakun, Ironside (Waters 90). Subs not used: Jones, Olowu, Westbrooke, Broadbent.

DRFC_SM_970pix250pix copy.jpg

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account