Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 1 Wrexham 0

2 April 2024

Match Reports

REPORT | Rovers 1 Wrexham 0

2 April 2024

Owen Bailey netted his first ever EFL goal to send Rovers on their way to a fifth consecutive win and downing of high-flying Wrexham.

The midfielder’s header just before the break was enough to separate the two sides in an enthralling clash at the Eco-Power Stadium.

Rovers had the better of the opportunities on the night but needed to stand up to a late onslaught from the visitors and did so superbly.

It secured a fifth win on the spin and fifth straight home triumph as the remarkable second half of the season renaissance continued.

Grant McCann made two changes to the side that started the win at Crawley Town on Good Friday with Joseph Olowu and Maxime Biamou coming into the starting XI, while Jay McGrath returned among the substitutes.

Hakeeb Adelakun pulled a shot wide from 20 yards in the first goalmouth of an attritional first half where there was little between the two sides.

Rovers produced the better of the opportunities however. A Luke Molyneux cross reached Baimou who saw his low drive blocked by Eoghan O’Connell.

Paul Mullin sliced a shot off target for the visitors before strike partner Ollie Palmer headed wide from close range.

The middle period of the half saw neither side giving the other an inch in a fine midfield battle.

Elliot Lee drilled over the bar from 20 yards for Wrexham before Biamou turned a shot just wide after meeting Molyneux’s driven ball into the middle.

Rovers broke the deadlock on 44 minutes. James Maxwell delivered an excellent cross from deep with Bailey rising at the far post to squeeze a header home.

The pace of the game upped as the second half began. Tom O’Connor fired over the bar from 30 yards for Wrexham.

But it was Rovers who would enjoy the better of the opportunities before the hour mark.

Harrison Biggins chipped the ball onto the bar from the byline before Biamou saw a shot cleared off the line by O’Connell.

Will Boyle headed narrowly wide from a free kick for Wrexham before James Maxwell poked on goal from a corner, only to see Andy Cannon block on the line.

Ryan Barnett fired wide from the visitors before two big chances in quick succession for Rovers on the hour. Richard Wood swiped a volley on the turn just off target before Adelakun raced onto a knockdown from Biamou but drilled wide.

Molyneux drew a fine save from Wrexham keeper Arthur Okonkwo with a curling effort from the edge of the box.

Adelakun was millimetres away from connecting with an excellent chip from Molyneux to the back post.

Wrexham looked to have found the equaliser on 77 minutes when Mullin fired home from close range, only to see the flag raised for offside.

The visitors pushed forward but struggled to find a breakthrough.

And Thimothée Lo-Tutala produced a brilliant save low at his near post to push away a header from Steven Fletcher deep into added time.

Rovers: Lo-Tutala, Sterry, Olowu, Wood (McGrath 90+6), Maxwell, Bailey, Craig (Westbrooke 86), Molyneux, Biggins (Rowe 78), Adelakun, Biamou (Ironside 68). Subs not used: Jones, Broadbent, Hurst.

DRFC_SM_970pix250pix copy.jpg

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account