Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Penalties Win For Rovers In Cup

11 August 2012

Sponsored by

Capital One League Cup 1st Round

DONCASTER ROVERS 1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 York City 1

Attendance – 5,243

Referee – Mr G Salisbury


It was warm and humid as the football season proper started with a League Cup game at home to League newcomers York City. Before the match a small ceremony was enacted to mark the handover of the Keepmoat Stadium from the Council to the Rovers. John Ryan and Mayor Davies performed the handover.


York City got the new season underway on a sunny Saturday afternoon and they did most of the attacking in the early minutes, with Jon Smith getting in a strike from 25yards that Gary Woods saved. Then the Rovers worked their way into York territory but shots from Martin Woods and Coppinger were blocked by defenders before the ball was eventually cleared. Jon Smith then had a go from 30yards but put wide. As the quarter hour came up York won a corner, which came to nothing and immediately at the other end the Rovers were awarded a free kick on their left touchline. This was headed out by York for a corner to the Rovers, which Spurr headed wide of the far post. Midfield play abounded over the next ten minutes or so before Quinn, on the Rovers right, played the ball down the line for Cotterill and his low cross from the byline found Coppinger but his control let him down and the chance was missed. As the last ten minutes came up the Rovers won a corner on their left which brought the award of a free kick on the side of the area. Cotterill took it right footed and curled the ball to the far corner but Ingham managed to get to it and push it away for his defence to clear. Then, in the 37th minute, Cotterill had another go from the left just outside the penalty area but was just over the bar at the far post. There was plenty of endeavour from both sides as time ran down to the break but neither goalkeeper was unduly troubled.


Half Time  - Doncaster Rovers 0 York City 0


The second half began with the Rovers on the attack but they were unable to get past Ingham in the York goal, who saved with his legs from Cotterill. Even play followed until the 57th minute when a cracking drive from the angle of the area by McLaughlin was beaten away by Gary Woods at the near post. Past the hour and with the Rovers on the attack, Bennett gave to Brown, who laid the ball back to Cotterill but his shot was high and wide. Then Martin Woods put wide from 25yards following a sustained attack by the Rovers down their right. In the 66th minute, however, york struck back through COULSON, who received the ball on the right, cut inside and from the edge of the penalty area rocketed a shot into the far top corner of the Rovers net.  The Rovers were stung and Quinn went down the right and cut the ball back from the byline for Syers but his shot was blocked and cleared. Continuing to attack the Rovers won a corner but it produced a quick break by York that ended with McLaughlin firing wide. Then, in the 73rd minute, Cotterill was brought down in the penalty area by Bullock. BROWN duly did the needful and fired low into Ingham’s right hand corner. Back came York and won a couple of corners followed by the Rovers gaining one but nothing came from any of them. The Rovers stepped up the pressure as the last ten minutes dawned. Many further corners to the Rovers still did not produce any reward and time ran out with the result at one goal apiece. Extra time was now operative.


Result – Doncaster Rovers 1 York City 1


The Rovers kicked off and defended the South Stand end. The teams swapped corners in the early minutes and then, in the 97th minute, Doig left his backpass to the keeper short. Bennett latched on to it but inexplicably got the ball tangled in his feet leaving Doig to rectify his mistake. Midfield play resulted for the rest of the half.


Half Time in Extra Time – Doncaster Rovers 1 York City 1


General play ensued with neither goal threatened resulting in the taking of penalties to decide the winners.


Result – Doncaster Rovers 1 York City 1


PENALTIES – taken at the South Stand end.

Rovers 1st – Brown scored        York – Coulson missed

Rovers 1-0– Martin Woods scored      York – Challinor scored

Rovers 2-1 – Bennett scored      York – Potts scored

Rovers 3-2 – Blake scored        York – Blair missed

Rovers 4-2


The Rovers won 4-2 on penalties


Teams – ROVERS – Gary Woods; Paul Quinn, Rob Jones, Tommy Spurr, James Husband; James Coppinger, Paul Keegan, Martin Woods, David Cotterill; Chris Brown, Kyle Bennett

Subs used – David Syers for Keegan 58 mins; Liam Wakefield for Quinn 95 mins; Robbie Blake for Cotterill 105 mins;

Subs not used – Jonathan Maxted gk


York City – Michael Ingham; Chris Smith, Chris Doig, Jamal Fyfield; Daniel Parslow, Ashley Chambers, Michael Coulson, Jonathan Smith, Patrick McLaughlin, Jason Walker, Lee Bullock

Subs used – Matthew Blair for Walker 78 mins; Jon Challinor  for McLaughlin 87 mins; Michael Potts for Jon Smith 112 mins;

Subs not used – Danny Blanchett, Oli Johnson, Liam Henderson, Paul Musselwhite gk

Advertisement block